Council of Tenerife
The Council of Tenerife was founded in a meeting held on the 16th of March 1913, in application of the Law of Councils of July 11th 1912. Those charged with establishing the Council began the process of providing the institution with offices to enable it to carry out its functions. Having used the installations of the City Hall of Santa Cruz de Tenerife for the first meeting, the offices of this new body were provisionally set up in a building located at the intersection of Avenida 25 de Julio and Calle Numancia.
Article 23 of the Statute of Autonomy of the Canary Islands, passed via Organic Law 10/1982 of August 10th and reformed via Organic Law 4/1996 of December 30th, stipulates that the islands are assigned the exercise of the functions that are recognised as being their inherent responsibility and those that are transferred or delegated by the Autonomous Region. The islands are also assigned the responsibility of collaborating in the development and execution of the agreements adopted by the Government of the Canary Islands, in the terms established in the parliamentary laws. Where functions are transferred or delegated, they will include the corresponding economic, material and human resources.